Sunday, December 12, 2010

St. Jude Children's Hospital


So I woke up around five-o-clock this morning wedged in between my toddler and a cold wall. I had to go the bathroom, but I did not want to leave the comfort of my warm bed. As I paused for a moment, the raspy sound of an old woman's voice came drifting from the television I had forgot to turn off before I fell into my deep slumber.

Squinting my eyes, I looked on the screen and saw a three year old boy named Reagan. He was diagnosed with childhood leukemia and passed away eleven months after being admitted to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I began to feel very sad. I looked over at my little one, sleeping so soundly, with not a care in the world. Then I thought, "That could be my child in that hospital. That could be Ruki."

And the tears came flowing down my tired face.

I imagined myself being some billionaire philanthropist and giving St. Jude's, or any other children's hospital, a million dollars or more. But I am not a philanthropist, I am just a writer. So, today I am writing to urge everyone to donate your dollars and your prayers to sick and needy children wherever they may be. Don't wait for a tragedy to happen to you or someone you love to start caring. Care now. Give now.

No comments: